When one of your family members dies, a number of important questions arise and must be answered quickly, including the following:
- If there is a will, what do I do with it?
- What do I do if there is no will?
- What if there is a dispute among family members about what should be done?
- How (and when) is the decedent’s property transferred to the rightful person(s)?
- How will the surviving spouse (and children) be taken care of?
- Who takes care of the house, automobile(s) and other assets?
- Who is supposed to arrange (and pay for) the funeral?
- What if there is a safe deposit box?